Friday, December 26, 2008

What am i doing?

Christmas came and passed. I got a cool new cell phone with unlimited texting. Unfortunately, I have to pay forty dollars a month for it, but at least my parents got me this phone. It has this cool touch screen and a keyboard on it. I also go some Wii paraphernalia; random articles of clothing, which included a snazzy Sweater, Converse basketball sneakers that Aya got me, and this ridiculous neon green shirt with a funny print of skateboards and lizards on it; just to mention a few of the items. I also recieved a cool satchel bag, a sweater vest, and a Elvis Costello DVD from Liz.

Ugh, I feel so guilty to be so blessed. I really wish I could have given more to more people. I really need to ask Julian for a job at Waulbaums. My friend Doug has only been working there for a couple months but has already been promoted to $12.50/hr. I'd be happy with just 8$/hr. And I'd be able to work alot since I have no school for a while. I hate to say it but I wasn't really feeling my job at Maryhaven. I don't know why, I just kind of felt out of place and clueless. I could never get a lot of hours because of school so I could never get myself really familarized with the place. And since I wasn't very well aquainted ot the house, I was always a little intimidated. I'm always scared that I'll be told to do a task that wouldn't know what to do. I don't know, I feel that Maryhaven isn't the best job for me right now, like I just feel like I'm not really ready for it but maybe later on in my life I'll be better suited for it.

Yesterday I dropped by the Benjamin household for a bit. Matt got a lot of great music gear for Christmas. I gave him a Boss Bass EQ pedal, plus his parents got him a Kustom bass half stack. And I think his parents got him this MXR Blowtorch Overdrive Pedal he wanted. Seeing all that gear made me want some new equipment as well. I don't really consider myself materialstic but I often lust over certain music instruments and gear. It's really not a good thing but I feel that as a musician, it's ok to want certain things to help create the sound you envision. Plus, it's not like I'm letting my desire for these things rule my life; unfortunately I do think about it alot. I'm pretty content with my dad's stuff has that I use, it's just that it's not really what I prefer. In all actuality, I'd like to start from scratch and create a whole new rig. New guitar, new effects, new amp. Give everything back to my dad and start fresh with all of my own stuff that I bought myself, after all, nearly everything I use, with a few exceptions, is my father's. I don't think that that is very materialstic, but hey, maybe I'm just trying to justify my own selfish sinful nature.

CRAP I DESIRE AFTER:
Ibanez AGS73B Guitar, currently on sale on Musician's Friend for $297.49. I also saw one listed on craigslist for about the same price. There a couple of local guitar shops here that carry Ibanez brand products, hopefully one day, I can serve them great patronage by ordering a guitar through on of them.

Robert Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus. Which is a modified Ibanez TS-9 overdrive pedal exclusive to their site. It's better than a regular stock TS-9 cause it's quiter, has better sound quality, and greater gain and drive range. It's $159 with free shipping. Awesome deal for an awesome pedal. Here's the link: http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=5 The Electro-Harmonix Holy Stain Multi-Effects Pedal, (the first multi-effects perdal from EH), has an awesome reverb effect, in fact the reverb is really the one main thing that I'm after on this pedal. But it's also equippedwith a Pitch Shift, a tremolo, fuzz and overdrive effects, which are a plus-side on this pedal. I don't think I'll be using a lot of the other effects but it will be nice to have. The pedal is also true-bypass which is an awesome feature and it's also mad cheap; ironically it's the cheapest Electro-Harmonix reverb pedal, even though it has the most effects on one unit. It's about a hundred dollars on Musician's Friend, but once again I plan on obtaining it through a local shop.
There are a few other pedals that I would like to acquire such as a delay, chorus, phaser, and wah wah pedal. But I have yet to decide whether they are necessary for the sound I'm looking for. I guess they'd be cool to have a play around with though.

The last major thing on my list is an amplifier. There are a lot of amps that interest me that I would not mind having but Jesse Vargas has offered me his Fender Hot Rod Deville, an $800+ value, for $500. It's a pretty good deal, maybe someday that deal would materialize into Jesse being $500 dollars richer and me with a tube amp in the trunk of my car. The estimated total cost for my wish list is about $1060+. Not bad, compared to other people's rigs, often whose cheapest piece of gear costs that much. It's a lot of money but it's not like I'm actually spending it all at once. Hopefully I'll get these things piece by peice, when I save up my money I'll be able to buy each item one by one. But I forgot to include the costs of other essential articles of equipment, such as guitar chords, and whatnot... and maybe a PA system.

Guitar lessons would be cool too.

And since I'm in the mood of being wishful, I'd also like to learn and attain a banjo, mandolin, ukulele, lap steel and other folksy-type instruments. I also would like to set up the drum kit and re-teach myself.

Ok, I'm done with being materialistically wishfull for tonight. Goodnight.

No comments: